Denver is one of the most beautiful cities in the United States. With hiking trails and ski resorts just a quick thirty minute drive away, the Rockies are basically at your doorstep! Logically, you want to embrace the natural beauty that Denver has to offer, why is why so many homeowners gravitate towards cedar siding. But, in practical terms, is cedar siding really the best option for your Denver home? Here’s why engineered wood might be the better choice.
Cedar Siding or Engineered Wood – Which Is Better?
While cedar siding certainly has a lovely aesthetic, it may not be the best choice for your home if you’re not able to invest a lot of time into its maintenance. Cedar needs to be protected from the elements or else it will rot, crack, or fade, which means you have to stick to a strict maintenance schedule. Engineered wood may be a better option if you want the same aesthetic without the constant upkeep.
Advantages of Engineered Wood
Engineered wood siding is similar to cedar in its appearance. It’s made with real wood strands. However, these strands of wood have been coated with special coatings and resins to protect them from the elements. We recommend engineered wood siding options for Denver homes because they’re more durable and, therefore, more practical. Some of the benefits of this type of siding include:
- Moisture resistant: It has been treated to be moisture resistant, so you won’t have to worry about the rain and snow impacting your siding.
- Impact resistant: Hail storms in Denver can be quite serious. Engineered wood is designed to be impact resistant and can withstand hail up to 1.75 inches in diameter.
- Freeze/thaw resistant: Freeze/thaw cycles can cause siding to crack, warp, swell, and break. The special resin coating on this siding gives it strength and durability to endure seasonal weather.
- Pest resistant: Cedar is quite soft, whereas engineered wood is resistant to pests like woodpeckers and termites.
- Lasting color: Finishes last longer, so you don’t have to worry about constantly re-staining or repainting your siding.
Reside Your Home with Engineered Wood
It’s easy to see why so many homeowners prefer engineered wood siding in Denver. Call our office today to get a quote for your home!